Country Roads of Portugal (Preview 2019)
About Lisbon, Portugal
Additional Included Highlights
- Lagos: Explore this coastal town nestled on Meia Praia. Monsaraz: Surrounded by cork oaks and vineyards, wander through the castle ruins to admire the incredible view over the Spanish plains that contrast with the blue of one of Europe's largest artificial lakes. Obidos: Walk through the picturesque narrow streets up to the main square of this ancient walled town
- Guimarães: Enjoy views from the ruined castle and explore the maze of streets in the historic Old Quarter
- Porto: See the bridges and buildings decorated in tiles. Scenic Drives: Alentejo, River Tagus, Agarve, Douro River.
- Lisbon: Delight in a taste of the famous Portuguese delicacy, Pastéis de Belém, made to the same secret recipe for over 200 years.
- Monsaraz: Meet a local boat captain and join him for a leisurely cruise, followed by a delicious Alentejo Highlight Lunch in a local restaurant that was once an olive oil mill.
- Douro River: Meet the Sequeira family who have been living on the left bank of the Douro for four generations. Join them for a freshly-prepared Farm-to-Table Dinner, hear about their passion for wine making and sample their wines.
- Porto: An informative tour of a famous cellar at Vila Nova de Gaia shows you the views and gives you an opportunity to taste the Port.
- Porto: Shared experiences and memories are often the foundation for special bonds and friendships. Toast your travels with wine and good cheer during your Celebration Dinner at a restaurant in Porto, devoted to the enjoyment of regional cooking.
- Dining Summary: 10 Buffet Breakfasts (BB), 1 Lunch with Wine (LW) and 4 Dinners with Wine (DW) all with tea or coffee.
- Évora: Explore this UNESCO World Heritage Site with your Local Expert. See the famous Roman Temple, and visit the fascinating cathedral, with its mix of Romanesque and Gothic architecture, as well as Capela dos Ossos, the Chapel of Bones.
- Tomar: Dominating the town is the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Templar Castle and the Convent of Christ. During your visit with a Local Expert, see the Manueline Window and follow the story of the mysterious Knights Templar.
- Tomar: Guided by your Local Expert, visit the Synagogue of Tomar, one of the best preserved medieval synagogues in Portugal.
- Coimbra: With a Local Expert, visit the University and witness the triumphal arches, painted ceilings, golden flourishes and walls of ancient tomes.
Signature and Highlight Hotels
- Évora: Among the white-washed houses of Évora, next to the Roman aqueduct, your 5-star M'Ar de Ar Aqueduto hotel blends part of an old monastery with modern design.
- Douro Valley: The Vintage House Hotel enjoys an idyllic and tranquil riverside location at Pinhão in the authentic heart of the Douro Valley.
Top Rated Highlights
- Lisbon: There is no better way to explore a city, than with your Local Expert. Wander from the Lower Town, beneath the hilltop Bairro Alto to the Terreiro do Paco. In the Belém Quarter see the Monument to the Discoveries and the ancient Belém Tower.
- Lisbon: Visit the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Jerónimos Monastery with its beautiful Manueline architecture, reflecting Portugal’s trade over the centuries.
- Lagos: Explore this coastal town nestled on Meia Praia, with your Travel Director.
- Monsaraz: Surrounded by cork oaks and vineyards, wander through the castle ruins to admire the incredible view over the Spanish plains that contrast with the blue of one of Europe's largest artificial lakes.
- Obidos: Lead by your Travel Director, walk through the picturesque narrow streets up to the main square of this ancient walled town.
- Fátima: Join the faithful at one of the world’s holiest sites and pay homage at the Chapel of the Apparitions or see the basilica.
- Guimarães: Enjoy views from the ruined castle and explore the maze of streets in the historic Old Quarter.
- Porto: See the iconic bridges and buildings decorated in tiles.
- Scenic Drives: Relax and enjoy the view as you travel through the Alentejo region and along the Tagus and Douro rivers.
Terms, conditions and restrictions apply; pricing, availability, and other details subject to change and/ or apply to US or Canadian residents. Please confirm details and booking information with your travel advisor.